Remote Learning - FAQs
Learning from home is a unique situation and is presenting some challenges for all of us. We simply expect parents/carers to do their best with the resources provided by us.
- Help the children have a balanced routine including; work, breaks, contacting family and friends, exercise, fresh air, free time.
- Include helping with tasks in the home and supporting family members into the child’s routine, this is good home learning.
- Be familiar with and read your Online Learning Student Expectations.
- Students are expected to follow their normal timetables (including registration). Whilst all lessons will be recorded for review, the teacher will only be available at the timetabled time, and so it is extremely important that students follow their timetable.
- We will endeavour to follow-up with parents/carers of any unexpected student absence from online lessons.
- Students should expect to receive a 45-50 minute lesson at the timetabled time and are expected to engage positively and appropriately to get the most from the lesson.
- Where a teacher is absent, work will be set via Google Classroom for students to complete during the timetable slot.
- If you are unable to access the work due to not having an appropriate device or access to broadband you should make your Head of Year aware immediately and we will seek to support you in any way we can.
- There are also links to ‘Resources to support home learning’ below.
- Any questions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org where we will endeavour to answer your query as soon as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. What do we do if our child is finding the work difficult?
A. If they get stuck or need guidance they can contact their teacher via Google Classroom or email addresses on the website. Please be patient and they will get back to you as soon as they possibly can.
Q. I can’t print off the work, what should we do?
A. There is no requirement to print off documents, use the resource from the website and then use pen and paper to answer. (If you want to show the teacher you can take a photo and upload to Google Classroom).
Q. I can’t work online as I am using a phone or tablet. What can I do?
A. Use the resource on the phone and then use pen and paper, you don’t have to work online.
Q. I can’t edit a PDF file.
A. We are only using PDF files for information so there will be no requirement to edit them, you can use pen and paper or open a separate word document.
Q. How do I access my school email from home?
A. Go to the school website and select the Login header, then Webmail. Enter your school email address and school password. You can also access your school email via remote desktop - more information on how to access remote desktop can be found at the bottom of this page.
Q. My child doesn’t know their username or password?
A. Username: the username is your child’s first email@example.com. Password: The password is the pupil’s school password. If this needs resetting email firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. I have forgotten my Google classroom codes.
A. Email your teachers and they will re-issue the classroom codes- they are also available via the SIMS app in case you have forgotten
Q. How do I log in to Google Classroom on my laptop/pc?
A. Select this link and enter your school email address and school password. Then enter your username e.g. 19TBloggsJ (19 being the year you started at Edgbarrow, T being your tutor group, your surname and your initial (all one word).
Q. I can access Google Classroom but the Classes page does not load?
A. Make sure you are logged in to Google using your school email, then your username and school password.
Q. How do I download work from Google Classroom?
A. To download work, students open up the assignment on Google Classroom and open the file...... select this link for more information
Q. How do I use Google Meet?
A. The meeting link will appear at the top of the classroom when the teacher opens the lesson. You may need to refresh the page to see the link.
Q. My Microphone and Webcam does not work when using Google Classroom.
A. Google Classroom/Meets & day-to-day internet browsing should all be done outside of Edgbarrow Remote. The reason for this is because Remote Desktop is a virtual computer without access to a Microphone or WebCam.
Q. My microphone does not work when I am using Google Meet?
A. If you have blocked your microphone in your browser, the quickest way to reset it is to close the browser and re-join the meeting. That should bring back the pop-up. If you have permanently blocked the camera (or the pop-ups) then you may be able to re-set them; the settings menu is usually top right of the browser and there are instructions for Chrome here:
Q. I get the message 'The number of connections to this computer is limited and all connections are in use. Try connecting later.' when I access Remote Desktop.
A. Please bear in mind that Remote Desktop should only be used if you’re needing to access your school documents and shared drives.
Google Classroom, Meets, Teams and other websites should be browsed outside of Remote. Please ensure you’re correctly signed out of Remote Desktop when you’re finished with the service:
1. Click the Windows Button (Bottom left)
2. Click the circular Edgbarrow logo
3. Click Sign Out
Q. I have logged out of SIMS Student and can't log back in.
A. Close your app/browser on your device. On a smartphone or Mac open the app, select the Google icon and you will automatically log on. On a PC select this link, then select the Google icon and you will automatically log on.
Q. I don't know my login details for Kerboodle, MyMaths, GCSEPod, Times Tables Rockstars or any other Edgbarrow online resource?
A. Email email@example.com and we will send you your login details.
Resources to help you with your Home Learning:
Online Resources - quick links