Adverse Weather Procedures
Edgbarrow School believes that every lesson is important and will, therefore, seek to minimise the impact of bad weather on the normal operation of the school.
In rare circumstances where it is not possible to operate the school safely and action is required, the following risk factors are considered:
- Is the site safe for staff and pupils to attend?
- Are sufficient staff able to access the site in order to be able to operate safely?
- Are all utilities and services able to operate (water, heating, electricity, and kitchen)?
- Are staff and students able to travel to and from the site safely?
In the event that one or more of the above factors is answered in the negative, the school will consider the following actions:
- Footwear or uniform adjustment (sensible shoes and appropriate trousers for girls who would rather not wear skirts)
- Late start
- School closure
Decisions will be made by the Head Teacher and Senior Leadership Team, in consultation with governors.
School Closure before the start of the school day
The school will complete an appropriate risk assessment and notify staff and parents/carers by 7.45am. The school will release this information using its school website, Facebook account and text message (number ends in 132). In the event of doubt, parents should check the school website. The school will issue updates on an ongoing basis.
School Closure during the school day
In the event of an early closure, parents will be advised in advance (as far as is possible) that this is a potential course of action. The school will release this information via the school website, Facebook and text message.